Tuesday 25 September 2012

Sound and Visual


































25/09/12, studio 12

Had a tutorial with Paul Gardiner and he suggested I look more into the idea of visual contrasting sound.
He suggested looking at a couple of these movies and animations.




  Basically the idea is to look at contrasting visual and sound. Personally I want to go into a pub and record the conversation there, then placing that sound against the visual of maybe children playing, it's a very simple take on innocence vs the eh not so innocent.

Another reference Paul gave me to look at was Ice T's documentary on rap;



2012 official trailer for Ice T's documentary The Art Of Rap.

Another idea Paul threw at me was to do storyboard narrations of the conversations I've recorded, I like this idea but animation isn't really my forté so I'll have to put some thought into how I want that to play out.

.Just a brainstorm to recenter myself after my tutorial 

I had this image of Aeron Bergman & Alejandra Salinas work for 'Feng Shui Objects' (I will eventually put up a post about them)


It reminded me of the idea of projections and shadow puppets, I'd love to do a little piece of the recordings to go along with a shadow puppet play.

http://vimeo.com/15928108

Baku - Japanese Shadow Puppet film.

 

And now for a look at some artists who've worked with shadow

Kumi Yamashita: 

Yamashita is a Japanese- born artist living and working in New York. He uses object placement to create illusions that engage with light and shade.

Origami
Origami
2011

H366, W366, D1cm
Creased Japanese paper, single light source, shadow
Commissioned by American Express, New York City USA



Profile

1994
H180, W230, D5cm
Wood, single light source, shadow
Microsoft Art Collection, Washington USA

Tim Noble and Sue Webster
Take everyday rubbish and construct them so their shadows cast a legible image obvious to the naked eye.

The


The Gamekeeper's Gibbet
2011
Solid sterling silver gilded in pure gold, metal stand, light projector
71 x 42 x 160 cm (28 x 161/5 x 63 in)

Metal

METAL FUCKING RATS, 2006

Welded scrap metal, light projector
51.5 x 53 x 19.6 cm (201/4 x 21 x 73/4 in)


No comments:

Post a Comment